Connect with us

Health

Coronavirus: Nigeria Records First Death From COVID-19

Published

on

 

An American has died of Coronavirus in Ekiti, Southwest Nigeria, the Ekiti State Government disclosed on Wednesday.

Ekiti Commissioner for Health, Dr. Mojisola Yaya-Kolade, said the driver, who contracted Coronavirus in the state was suspected to have been infected by the 27-year-old American Caucasian who died in the state.

The commissioner, in a statement, said the Ekiti State Taskforce on COVID-19, headed by Governor Kayode Fayemi, could confirm that “we have recorded an incidence of a Nigerian male, 38 years old, of Ekiti origin, who has tested positive to Covid-19.

“The confirmed case is suspected to have been infected while driving an American Caucasian, male, 27 years old, who was visiting Nigeria from Richmond, Virginia, the USA in the company of his caregiver, a Nigerian female Age 31, of Ekiti Origin.

“The American male and his Nigerian female caregiver, arrived Nigeria on 3rd March 2020 through the Muritala Mohammed International Airport Lagos. Preliminary investigations revealed that the pair were driven by our confirmed case to Ibadan, where they stayed for two weeks, and arrived Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State on 13th March 2020,” she explained.

According to the commissioner, “a day after their arrival, the American male fell ill and he was taken to a private hospital where he was referred to a tertiary hospital. Unfortunately, he died from complications of his illness.

“The hospital authorities alerted the State Taskforce and samples were taken from the American male as well as his two companions. The test for the male driver came back positive; the test for the female caregiver came back negative while the test for the American male was inconclusive.”

Yaya-Kolade said in line with the Nigeria Center for Disease Control (NCDC) protocols, the Ekiti State Taskforce on COVID-19 had already quarantined the confirmed case on admission in the State Isolation Centre, while the caregiver who tested negative, was presently under observation in self-isolation.

“We have commenced the process of contact tracing, working with the Federal Ministry of Health and the World Health Organization (WHO) following the team’s itinerary since they landed in Nigeria on the 3rd of March 2020. We have also contacted the Oyo State Government since it was recorded that they stayed in Ibadan for two weeks before arriving at Ekiti State.

“The confirmed case is very stable and not showing any symptoms while NCDC will repeat the test for the caregiver who is also in self-isolation. The Ekiti State Task Force on COVID-19 is following the NCDC Case Management Protocols with diligence. We want to urge Ekiti residents to stay calm and ensure they observe the prevention steps that are being publicized on all credible media.

“It is important to state that this likely index case was on a short visit and had not been in Ekiti State for up to 72 hours before his death. The Ekiti State Taskforce on COVID-19 advises residents to continue to take self-preventive measures by washing their hands with soap and water, covering their mouths when coughing or sneezing, observing social distancing and to alert the authorities of any suspected case by calling the 112 Emergency Number or 09062970434, 09062970435, 09062970436.

“The Government of Ekiti State will continue to update the public on new developments as necessary in our commitment to ensuring the safety and protection of all Ekiti residents,” she stated.

 

Hi , I'm Sola Olabintan the founder of World celebrities zone. My vision is to bring you an update on happening around the world. Update on Global news , politics ,Education , Entertainment , Sports , Gospel , Finance and every aspect of life.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

GOOD NEWS TO OYO WORKERS: Makinde approves six-month maternity leave for Oyo workers

Published

on

Makinde approves six-month maternity leave for Oyo workers

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has approved the extension of maternity leave to six months for state government employees.

The Commissioner for Establishment and Training, Prof. Daud Shangodoyin, said this while briefing journalists at the end of the State Executive Council Meeting in Ibadan on Tuesday.

The commissioner said the governor had approved an upward review of maternity leave period for pregnant women and nursing mothers in the employment of the state from four months to six months.
 Makinde approves six-month maternity leave for Oyo workers
He added that the council also adopted the World Health Organisation recommendation on exclusive breast-feeding of a child.

Shangodoyin stated that the council, after deliberating on a memorandum for the review, agreed to an upward review of the leave from four to six months.

READ ALSO:Strike: Ordinary Nigerians attend public varsities, Fayemi begs ASUU

He said weekends were inclusive, adding that the affected workers would get their full salaries and other benefits during the six months.

He stated, however, that the period of closing at 2pm for six months has now been cancelled.

He said, “At the 38th meeting held today, we deliberated on a memorandum on the review of maternity leave for pregnant and nursing mothers in the employment of Oyo State for every motherhood and we resolved and approved as follows:

READ ALSO:#End SARS: – Pastor Sam Adeyemi Advices On What youths must do next against Buhari govt

“The adoption of WHO recommendation on this matter on exclusive breast-feeding of a child.

“An upward review of maternity leave period for pregnant and nursing mothers in the employment of the state from four to six months, weekends inclusive, with full payment of salaries and other benefits.

READ ALSO:Two NSCDC Personnel Die, One Injured In Ondo Road Accident
“Also, the period of closing at 2pm for six months, upon resumption has been cancelled. The application shall be for civil and public service workers only.

“The Executive Council also approved that the leave shall commence from four weeks to the expected date of delivery and it shall be mandatory for beneficiaries to proceed for the four weeks pre-natal leave as specified in the civil service rule.

“Also, we approved that the review is for female employees of Oyo State Government only and it shall be enjoyed at most four times in her service years.”

Continue Reading

Coronavirus

BREAKING NEWS: Lagos calls for precautions against second wave of COVID-19—Health commissioner

Published

on

The Lagos state Government has warned against the second wave of covid-19 and every necessary precaution should duly adhere to.This was found in the press released by the Director, Public Affairs of the Ministry of Health, Tunbosun Ogunbanwo, on Tuesday

The statement was titled, ‘Lagos calls for precautions against second wave of COVID-19’.

The statement quoted the Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, as saying that many countries around the world have found it necessary to impose a second lockdown and restriction of movements, which have significant socio-economic and security consequences.

The commissioner, however, warned that “the continuous flagrant disregard of safety guidelines by citizens heralds’ danger and may lead to a second wave of new infections in Lagos”.

Part of the statement read, “The Lagos State Government has once again stressed the need for residents to strictly adhere to precautionary measures against COVID-19 infection transmission to prevent a recurrence of the situation that led to the lockdown of the economy.

“A resurgence of cases in Lagos may lead to the reversal of the strategically calculated measures put in place by the Government to open up the economy.

“The first wave of coronavirus started in December 2019 and swept through an unprepared world. The first case of COVID-19 in Nigeria was recorded in Lagos on the 27th of February 2020. Lagos has since become the epicentre of the outbreak in Nigeria with a record of 21,107 confirmed cases and 212 deaths from the virus till date.

“The containment measures put in place at the time included COVID-19 testing, isolation and treatment, surveillance, total shutdown of the State for about 12 weeks and partial shutdown of social, economic and academic activities for over four months.”

READ ALSO:Breaking News: If you’r a business owner living in lagos , you must read this……

Abayomi advised citizens against unnecessary movement and social gatherings, “unless it is absolutely necessary stressing that travelling into and outside the Country should be discouraged except when absolutely necessary”.


He said, “The erroneous belief that COVID-19 has been conquered and is no more in Nigeria should be discarded. Based on our data, this assumption is invalid. It creates a false sense of security amongst the citizens causing many to abandon the use of face masks and other safety measures and protocols put in place by the Government.

READ ALSO:BREAKING NEWS: EFCC grills Fowler over fraud allegations against Alpha Beta

“Though we have reached our peak as predicted and are now experiencing a decline in the number of positive cases, this is not a reason to conclude that all is over. COVID-19 is still very much with us as evidenced in the number of cases being recorded in the community daily and occasional deaths from severe complications.

“The reason for the decline in COVID-19 cases in Lagos is attributable to a number of factors, including public adherence to safety regulations of physical and social distancing, hand hygiene, use of face mask in public places, expanded testing strategy and contact tracing, among others, and this is the more reason why citizens should not relent in this regard if we don’t want to experience a second wave of the disease.”

Continue Reading

Entertainments

I have bipolar disorder – Nollywood actress, Chacha Eke

Published

on

CHACHA-EKE-USE

Nigerian screen goddess, Chacha Eke Faani has debunked speculations that her marriage crashed over domestic abuse from her husband, Austin Faani. The actress who took to social media a few days ago to announce the end of her 7-year-old marriage to Nollywood movie producer Austin Faani, said she has been diagnosed of bipolar disorder. In a video she made on a hospital bed, the beautiful mother of three said:

“Five days ago, I made a video saying that my marriage to Austin Faani is over and that video came with a lot of backlash from people with many insinuating that it’s a clear case of domestic violence. It’s not. Austin has never laid his hands on me. Austin has never even raised his voice at me and God in heaven knows that’s the truth.” Continuing she said, “I’m here at First Delta American hospital, Asaba, receiving treatment. Several psychiatrists have come to assess me mentally and I have been diagnosed of bipolar disorder. Bipolar is real. Here in Africa, we tend not to know about it due to ignorance or overlook it. I cannot tell you all how I’ve been feeling in these tiny videos that I’ve been making but I will, however, show you motion pictures soon”.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 World Celebrities Zone. Designed by Sola Olabintan, Powered by Vira Multimedia House , Osogbo Osun State.

%d bloggers like this: