Tiger Woods is widely considered one of the best golfers of all-time and undoubtedly the most dominant of the last 40 years. As an astonishingly successful and personable star, who is of Black, American Indian and Asian descent, he was also the greatest ambassador the historically white game of golf had ever known… until a scandal in 2009 forever shattered his golden boy image.
A child prodigy who appeared on national TV at 2 years old to show off his prowess, Woods won the most prestigious junior championships, dominated college golf and turned pro in 1996 when he was just 20 years old. The first 13 years of his career were marked by unparalleled success. Woods won 70 PGA tournaments, including 14 major championships, and spent a record amount of time ranked as the world’s No. 1 golfer. He signed endorsement deals with some of the world’s biggest brands, including one with Nike that was the largest in pro sports history at the time.
Woods’ personal life seemed just as enviable, with a loving wife and two small children living in a massive Florida mansion. It all made for a public image that was closer to infallible demigod than professional athlete, which in turn made the events of November 27, 2009, and the subsequent revelations so shocking to the public.
Woods’ crashed his SUV, which became the catalyst of intense public and tabloid fascination
There had been reports in the National Enquirer days earlier that Woods had engaged in an affair with a New York nightclub manager, but tabloid headlines about his troubles really took off when he pulled out of the driveway of his Orlando-area home at 2:30 in the morning of November 27. He steered his 2009 Escalade into hedges and a tree in a neighbor’s yard before crashing into a fire hydrant, dealing serious damage to the front of the SUV.
The collision was loud enough to wake up his wife, Elin Nordegren, who came running out of the house. She broke the back window of the SUV with a golf club, dragged her husband into the street, then sat with him as he drifted in and out of consciousness, mouth bloodied, wrapped in blankets provided by neighbors. One of those neighbors, Jarius Adams, called 911 at Nordegren’s request. The Florida Highway Patrol reached the house in about 10 minutes.
“He was mumbling, but didn’t say anything coherent,” Windermere police chief Daniel Saylor told the Associated Press at the time.
There was no alcohol involved in the crash, but Woods had taken prescription Vicodin painkillers earlier that night, as Nordegren told the police. His injuries were described as serious in the police report, which also noted that he had been unconscious for about six minutes after the crash.
Woods was ultimately issued a citation for careless driving and fined $164. That would be the very least of his problems.
The press soon descended on the scene, smelling blood both literal and metaphorical. On November 29, Woods addressed the matter for the first time by evading the issue with a vague personal statement on his website.
“This is a private matter and I want to keep it that way,” the statement read. “Although I understand there is curiosity, the many false, unfounded and malicious rumors that are currently circulating about my family and me are irresponsible. The only person responsible for the accident is me. My wife, Elin, acted courageously when she saw I was hurt and in trouble. She was the first person to help me. Any other assertion is absolutely false.”
New affair allegations began making headlines around the world
The statement wound up having the opposite effect, largely because on the same day that he released it, Us Weekly published a report suggesting that Woods had an affair with another woman. That brought the affair allegations at that point to two: Rachel Uchitel, the nightclub manager identified by the National Enquirer, and Jaimee Grubbs, the subject of the Us Weekly story.
Uchitel initially denied the Enquirer report, but the Us Weekly story came with a message on Grubbs’ voicemail that was allegedly left by the golfer. Grubbs, who was 24 at the time, said that they’d had a 31-month affair and that Woods was desperately trying to scrub any evidence of it.
“Hey, it’s Tiger,” a man said in the voicemail message. “I need you to do me a huge favor. Can you please take your name off your phone? My wife went through my phone and may be calling you.”
Grubbs did just about the opposite of that — over the next few months, she would reveal reams of dirty text messages she allegedly exchanged with Woods. Her forthcomingness would inspire over half a dozen more women to come forward with tales of sexual trysts with the world’s most famous golfer. The details were splayed out across tabloid front pages around the world, the steamy stories from cocktail waitresses and models creating a portrait of a man who sought out illicit experiences during his time on the road.
A few days later, with news media swarming his home and helicopters flying overhead around the clock, Woods released another statement that vaguely alluded to all of the allegations.
“I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves,” it read. “I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect. I am dealing with my behavior and personal failings behind closed doors with my family. Those feelings should be shared by us alone.”
Woods went radio silent after that, even as the media ran with the story — the golden boy of golf, the most talented player the world had ever seen, the wealthy champion with the beautiful wife and perfect family seemed to be harboring an SUV’s worth of dark secrets, infidelities and lies.
And finally, after two weeks of waiting, Woods made another statement, again on his website. “I am deeply aware of the disappointment and hurt that my infidelity has caused to so many people, most of all my wife and children,” he wrote, finally admitting to some degree of cheating.
In February, he finally spoke to the press, at the PGA Tour’s headquarters in Florida. There, he was a bit more forthcoming and equally apologetic, offering a pre-written statement and then taking questions over the course of a 13-minute press conference.
“I was unfaithful, I had affairs and I cheated. What I did was unacceptable,” he said. “I hurt my wife, my kids, my mother, my wife’s family, my friends, my foundation and kids all around the world who admired me.”
Woods also said he was in therapy and had done a lot of reflection over the few months that followed the crash and revelations.
“I knew my actions were wrong but I convinced myself that normal rules didn’t apply. I never thought about who I was hurting, instead I thought only about myself,” he said. “I ran straight through the boundaries a married couple should live by.
“I thought I could get away with whatever I wanted to. I felt that I had worked hard my entire life and deserved to enjoy all the temptations around me. I felt I was entitled, and thanks to money and fame, I didn’t have to go far to find them.”
The aftermath included a very long road back to the top of the golf scene
He continued a sabbatical from golf in order to work on his marriage — and his image. He lost sponsorship deals with big guns like Accenture, AT&T, Gatorade and General Motors, though Nike stood by his side. Some of those sponsors would ultimately come back, but his marriage with Nordegren eventually fizzled, with a divorce announced in August 2010.
While Uchitel denied the reports of her affair at first, she’d later use it as a ticket to tabloid and cable TV-level fame. Years later, she revealed that she met Woods through Hall of Fame Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter and parlayed the whole experience into a stint on Celebrity Rehab and several TV documentaries.
Woods’ hiatus from golf did not last long, with Woods returning to the links for the Masters in March 2010. He was never quite the same after the scandal, in part due to years of back troubles and multiple surgeries. He won his only major post-accident in 2019 when he earned another green jacket at the Masters. Afterward, President Donald Trump announced that he would be awarding Woods the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
Maria Sharapova Gives a Sarcastic Reply to Mardy Fish About Gifting Him a Porsche
The Porsche Tennis Grand Prix 2021, popularly known as the WTA Stuttgart Open, will be taking place soon. Interestingly, Maria Sharapova is promoting the tournament since she is the brand ambassador of Porsche.
Hilarious as always, former tennis player Mardy Fish asked Maria Sharapova if he could get a Porsche from her on Twitter. Interestingly, the 5-time Grand Slam champion came up with a witty reply.
“Yes. I’d be happy to help you with the purchase,” said Sharapova sarcastically in response.
Sharapova didn’t deny Fish a Porsche but instead agreed to help him with the purchase. Some fans are even suspecting that Sharapova might gift a Porsche to her fellow countryman.
Sharapova has been working as the brand ambassador for Porsche since 2013. Thus, she often promotes its events across many social media platforms. She reminded the fans that even though the WTA Stuttgart Open 2021 is happening in the closed stadium this year, they can still watch it from the safety of their homes.
The tournament will begin on April 19, 2021, and will run till April 25, 2021.
Maria Sharapova at the WTA Stuttgart Open 2021
Sharapova has won the Stuttgart Open title three times in her career. Stunningly, she won the title for three consecutive years in 2012, 2013, and 2014.
In 2012, she led a tough campaign but managed to win the title by defeating Victoria Azarenka in the final. Next year, she thrashed Li Na to win her second back-to-back title. The final match against Caroline Wozniacki in 2014 was probably her toughest, where she made an incredible comeback after losing the first set to clinch her third title.
Only Martina Navratilova and Tracy Austin have won the title on more occasions than Sharapova. Navratilova won it six times while Austin won the initial four editions of the tournament. However, before 2006, the Porsche Grand Prix used to take place in Filderstadt instead of Stuttgart.
Fans got quite disappointed when Sharapova retired suddenly in 2020. They believe that she still has a lot of tennis left in her and can make a comeback. Will Sharapova return to the court?
‘Suffered a lot’: Roger Federer’s startling confession about wife
Roger Federer has opened up about wife Mirka in a revealing insight into the most famous WAG in world tennis.
Roger and Mirka are arguably the most-loved couple in tennis, with fans swooning over their relationship.
Mirka was a budding tennis player before meeting Roger at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney, before a number of debilitating injuries forced her to retire.
“My wife Mirka has suffered a lot due to her physical problems,” Federer said in an interview with Ringier.
“Her career ended very early and I myself advised her to end that pain.
“I told her as if it were the simplest thing in the world.
“Looking back on it today, I get a weird feeling. I am still playing tournaments at 40 and I find it difficult to stop.”
Federer also revealed a funny anecdote about when Mirka called him in the middle of a match.
“She once phoned me while I was in the middle of a game,” he recalled.
“She had completely forgotten that I was playing.
“This is exactly what I like about her. When we are in a tournament, she is 100% involved, while at home she is free from all thoughts.”
Roger and Mirka have been married since 2009 and have two sets of twins together – Myla and Charlene and Leo and Lenny.
After retiring from tennis in 2002, Mirka went on to serve as Federer’s manager for a brief period before having children.
Mirka and the kids are often spotted courtside at Federer’s matches, cheering on the Swiss legend.
Meanwhile, Federer will almost certainly miss the Australian Open for the second year in a row, with the Swiss maestro said to be recovering slowly from a third knee surgery in 18 months.
Federer’s long-time coach Ivan Ljubicic has played down fears the tennis world has seen the last of the 20-times grand slam champion, who turned 40 in August.
Federer has played just 13 matches in 2021 and not one since suffering a straight-sets quarter-final loss to Hubert Hurkacz at Wimbledon in July.
The six-time Open champion’s latest four-month lay-off comes after he spent a year on the sidelines following his record-setting 15th semi-final appearance at Melbourne Park in 2020.
“Roger Federer is very unlikely to play the Australian Open,” Ljubicic told Sky Sport TV on Sunday.
“He is 40 and doesn’t recover as fast as before. But he wants to compete again and won’t retire all of a sudden.
“We will be able to see Roger again next year. I don’t know when exactly, but he is undergoing rehabilitation. He is recovering slowly, he is not in a hurry.”
The veteran superstar was still on crutches when he made a surprise appearance courtside at the Laver Cup in Boston in late September.
“Given that he was still on crutches, I doubt we’d see him here because he needs a longer prep to get ready for a grand slam than what he’s going to be able to have,” Australian doubles great turned commentator Todd Woodbridge told AAP.
Federer contested a record 21 successive Opens from 2000 to 2020 and boasts a remarkable 102-15 win-loss record at the tournament.
EMINEM’S CONVICTED BURGLAR IS BACK ON THE PROWL BEATING DOWN SECURITY GUARDS
Matthew David Hughes, the man who broke into homes looking for Eminem multiple times in an effort to kill him back in 2020, is once again in legal trouble.
Hughes was originally charged with first-degree home invasion and malicious destruction of property but pleaded no contest to second-degree home invasion in exchange for the former charges being dropped.
Hughes pleaded guilty in Macomb County Circuit Court on Monday (November 22) for failing to show up for his probation appointment on September 30. According to court records, he also pleaded not guilty to assaulting the security guard. Following his sentencing, his attorney Richard Glanda said he didn’t know where Hughes would be residing considering he was reportedly homeless upon being arrested.
50 CENT REVEALS HOW ‘BMF’ TRANSFORMED EMINEM INTO TEENAGE WHITE BOY RICK
NOVEMBER 15, 2021
The man known to be Eminem’s stalker was originally sentenced to five years probation after serving 524 days in jail for breaking into the Detroit rap star Clinton Township house in April 2020 and threatening to kill him. Eminem allegedly woke up to Hughes towering over his bed and escorted him out of his house where a security guard restrained him until police arrived.
Hughes is currently being held in the county jail on $10,000 bond. He’s scheduled to be sentenced on December 15 for his parole violation.
Drake once had a similar stalking-related situation happen to him, when a knife-wielding woman was arrested in March for trying to break into his Toronto estate. She allegedly struck a security guard with a metal pipe when trying to gain access to the property.