Novak Djokovic has responded after Nick Kyrgios discussed the world No 1’s potential participation at the Australian Open on his ‘No Boundaries’ podcast. Djokovic has been in doubt for the season-opening Grand Slam as government officials look to make full vaccination mandatory, while the nine-time champion does not want to disclose his vaccination status.
Kyrgios continues Djokovic feud with sarcastic Australian Open comment
Nick Kyrgios retreats on Australian Open remark with new Djokovic dig
With uncertainties growing over the fate of unvaccinated players at January’s Australian Open, home hope Nick Kyrgios recently joined in the debate.
The 26-year-old recently started a podcast with two of his childhood friends, and discussed the prospect of unjabbed players coming to Melbourne for the first Grand Slam of 2022 during the second episode of ‘No Boundaries’.
He hit headlines when he said he wanted the tournament to be cancelled next year, but later clarified his comments.
“I don’t think the Aus Open should go ahead, just for the people in Melbourne – you’ve got to send a message,” he said on the ‘GOAT’ episode, discussing next year’s edition of the tournament.
“To say that I’d want the Australian Open cancelled, I think that was the sentence that got taken out of context,” he said, addressing his comments from his new podcast, created with two of his childhood friends.
“It’s more so for the people of Melbourne, who have gone through hell and back. I think it’s been 275 days, nearly 300 days of lockdown and your freedom has been taken away from you.
“I don’t think it’s morally right to accept players from overseas that are not vaccinated to come into our country and waltz around Melbourne free-will to play the Australian Open.”
Djokovic Australian Open hopes boosted amid plans to avoid ban
Although Kyrgios said it wouldn’t be “right” for unjabbed players to come to Melbourne, he did support athletes who refused to get vaccinated in the same podcast episode, saying he didn’t agree with them being “forced” to get jabbed in order to compete – something Djokovic has been against.
“I’m double-vaxxed but I just don’t think it’s right to force anyone, yet an athlete, (and say) you can’t come here and play because you’re not vaccinated,” he said on the episode.
Now, Djokovic has responded to the Aussie’s comments, and admitted he was surprised to hear Kyrgios agree with him after their previous feud, as the 26-year-old has previously admitted he didn’t have “much respect” for the world No 1 and called him a “strange cat”.
“That was unexpected,” the 34-year-old laughed, when Kyrgios’ comments were put to him during his post-match press conference at the ATP Finals.
Rafael Nadal sends clear message to Novak Djokovic over vaccine
“Knowing what was coming from him towards me in the last couple of years. But this time I must agree with him that the freedom of choice is essential for everyone, whether it’s me or somebody else.
“Doesn’t really matter whether it’s vaccination or anything else in life. You should have the freedom to choose, to decide what you want to do. In this particular case, what you want to put in your body.
“I have been always a proponent of that and always a supporter of freedom of choice, and I will be always supporting that because freedom is essential for I’d say a happy and prosperous life.”
When asked whether he had heard the former world No 13’s comments before they were put to him in Wednesday’s (November 17), the Serb simply said: “I have read, yes, few days ago.”
Djokovic has previously cast doubt over his participation in Melbourne, telling Serbian newspaper Blic last month: “I don’t know if I’m going to Australia, I don’t know what’s going on. Currently, the situation is not good at all.
“I have my opinion and it has always been the same. I will not reveal my status whether I have been vaccinated or not.”
He has since declared that he will not comment on the matter anymore, until a final decision on the participation of unvaccinated players is announced by tournament organisers.
Maria Sharapova Gives a Sarcastic Reply to Mardy Fish About Gifting Him a Porsche
The Porsche Tennis Grand Prix 2021, popularly known as the WTA Stuttgart Open, will be taking place soon. Interestingly, Maria Sharapova is promoting the tournament since she is the brand ambassador of Porsche.
Hilarious as always, former tennis player Mardy Fish asked Maria Sharapova if he could get a Porsche from her on Twitter. Interestingly, the 5-time Grand Slam champion came up with a witty reply.
“Yes. I’d be happy to help you with the purchase,” said Sharapova sarcastically in response.
Sharapova didn’t deny Fish a Porsche but instead agreed to help him with the purchase. Some fans are even suspecting that Sharapova might gift a Porsche to her fellow countryman.
Sharapova has been working as the brand ambassador for Porsche since 2013. Thus, she often promotes its events across many social media platforms. She reminded the fans that even though the WTA Stuttgart Open 2021 is happening in the closed stadium this year, they can still watch it from the safety of their homes.
The tournament will begin on April 19, 2021, and will run till April 25, 2021.
Maria Sharapova at the WTA Stuttgart Open 2021
Sharapova has won the Stuttgart Open title three times in her career. Stunningly, she won the title for three consecutive years in 2012, 2013, and 2014.
In 2012, she led a tough campaign but managed to win the title by defeating Victoria Azarenka in the final. Next year, she thrashed Li Na to win her second back-to-back title. The final match against Caroline Wozniacki in 2014 was probably her toughest, where she made an incredible comeback after losing the first set to clinch her third title.
Only Martina Navratilova and Tracy Austin have won the title on more occasions than Sharapova. Navratilova won it six times while Austin won the initial four editions of the tournament. However, before 2006, the Porsche Grand Prix used to take place in Filderstadt instead of Stuttgart.
Fans got quite disappointed when Sharapova retired suddenly in 2020. They believe that she still has a lot of tennis left in her and can make a comeback. Will Sharapova return to the court?
‘Suffered a lot’: Roger Federer’s startling confession about wife
Roger Federer has opened up about wife Mirka in a revealing insight into the most famous WAG in world tennis.
Roger and Mirka are arguably the most-loved couple in tennis, with fans swooning over their relationship.
Mirka was a budding tennis player before meeting Roger at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney, before a number of debilitating injuries forced her to retire.
“My wife Mirka has suffered a lot due to her physical problems,” Federer said in an interview with Ringier.
“Her career ended very early and I myself advised her to end that pain.
“I told her as if it were the simplest thing in the world.
“Looking back on it today, I get a weird feeling. I am still playing tournaments at 40 and I find it difficult to stop.”
Federer also revealed a funny anecdote about when Mirka called him in the middle of a match.
“She once phoned me while I was in the middle of a game,” he recalled.
“She had completely forgotten that I was playing.
“This is exactly what I like about her. When we are in a tournament, she is 100% involved, while at home she is free from all thoughts.”
Roger and Mirka have been married since 2009 and have two sets of twins together – Myla and Charlene and Leo and Lenny.
After retiring from tennis in 2002, Mirka went on to serve as Federer’s manager for a brief period before having children.
Mirka and the kids are often spotted courtside at Federer’s matches, cheering on the Swiss legend.
Meanwhile, Federer will almost certainly miss the Australian Open for the second year in a row, with the Swiss maestro said to be recovering slowly from a third knee surgery in 18 months.
Federer’s long-time coach Ivan Ljubicic has played down fears the tennis world has seen the last of the 20-times grand slam champion, who turned 40 in August.
Federer has played just 13 matches in 2021 and not one since suffering a straight-sets quarter-final loss to Hubert Hurkacz at Wimbledon in July.
The six-time Open champion’s latest four-month lay-off comes after he spent a year on the sidelines following his record-setting 15th semi-final appearance at Melbourne Park in 2020.
“Roger Federer is very unlikely to play the Australian Open,” Ljubicic told Sky Sport TV on Sunday.
“He is 40 and doesn’t recover as fast as before. But he wants to compete again and won’t retire all of a sudden.
“We will be able to see Roger again next year. I don’t know when exactly, but he is undergoing rehabilitation. He is recovering slowly, he is not in a hurry.”
The veteran superstar was still on crutches when he made a surprise appearance courtside at the Laver Cup in Boston in late September.
“Given that he was still on crutches, I doubt we’d see him here because he needs a longer prep to get ready for a grand slam than what he’s going to be able to have,” Australian doubles great turned commentator Todd Woodbridge told AAP.
Federer contested a record 21 successive Opens from 2000 to 2020 and boasts a remarkable 102-15 win-loss record at the tournament.
EMINEM’S CONVICTED BURGLAR IS BACK ON THE PROWL BEATING DOWN SECURITY GUARDS
Matthew David Hughes, the man who broke into homes looking for Eminem multiple times in an effort to kill him back in 2020, is once again in legal trouble.
Hughes was originally charged with first-degree home invasion and malicious destruction of property but pleaded no contest to second-degree home invasion in exchange for the former charges being dropped.
Hughes pleaded guilty in Macomb County Circuit Court on Monday (November 22) for failing to show up for his probation appointment on September 30. According to court records, he also pleaded not guilty to assaulting the security guard. Following his sentencing, his attorney Richard Glanda said he didn’t know where Hughes would be residing considering he was reportedly homeless upon being arrested.
50 CENT REVEALS HOW ‘BMF’ TRANSFORMED EMINEM INTO TEENAGE WHITE BOY RICK
NOVEMBER 15, 2021
The man known to be Eminem’s stalker was originally sentenced to five years probation after serving 524 days in jail for breaking into the Detroit rap star Clinton Township house in April 2020 and threatening to kill him. Eminem allegedly woke up to Hughes towering over his bed and escorted him out of his house where a security guard restrained him until police arrived.
Hughes is currently being held in the county jail on $10,000 bond. He’s scheduled to be sentenced on December 15 for his parole violation.
Drake once had a similar stalking-related situation happen to him, when a knife-wielding woman was arrested in March for trying to break into his Toronto estate. She allegedly struck a security guard with a metal pipe when trying to gain access to the property.