Connect with us

Headlines

Venus Williams explains Met Gala photo with Serena and rival Maria Sharapova

Published

on

Venus Williams revealed “the back story” behind her Met Gala photo with sister Serena and longtime rival Maria Sharapova.

During a fan Q&A on Instagram, Venus was asked about “the infamous Maria photo” that was taken at Monday’s Met Ball — and the truth is, there’s no bad blood between the Williams sisters and Sharapova.

“First of all, Serena and I were talking about Maria the day before. We were walking and we were like, ‘We wish Maria was still playing,’ and we saw her [at the Met Gala] and we both told her separately, ‘We were just talking about you yesterday. We wish you you were still on tour,’” Venus said.

“We were so happy to see each other. There was laughing, there were stories and there was a photo.”

🚨 GUYS! I would henceforth like unofficial tennis journalist status for asking this hard-hitting question…. And getting an answer from Queen @Venuseswilliams herself! pic.twitter.com/nKya75TTd6

— amélie (@likethemovie19) September 16, 2021
“So the back story is that even though us players compete really hard on the court for years, we still respect and love each other. I love Maria, and if you want to come back Maria, we’ve asked you to come and do it,” Venus explained, adding, “That goes for you too, Caroline.”

Advertisement

Venus was likely referring to Danish tennis legend Caroline Wozniacki, who retired in January 2020, following a third-round loss in the Australian Open.

Sharapova, a five-time grand slam winner, also retired in 2020.

Fans were surprised to see the Williams sisters with Sharapova, mostly due to Serena’s well-documented rivalry with the Russian tennis star.

Their on-court strife began in 2004, when Sharapova beat Serena in a shocking upset at Wimbledon. Serena never lost to Sharapova again, winning their next 19 matches.

Sharapova later said the pair were “not friends,” and even wrote about it in her 2017 autobiography, “Unstoppable: My Life So Far.”

The trio – Venus, Serena and Sharapova – was also spotted chatting in a bathroom in the background of a selfie snapped by rapper Saweetie.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

HELL OF A FIGHT – Kell Brook claims Floyd Mayweather wants to fight winner of his clash with Amir Khan as Brit talks down retirement

Published

on

Brook and Khan are finally set to fight on February 19 in a bitter clash several years in the making.

Amir Khan and Kell Brook ahead of their February 19 fight
Kell Brook claimed Floyd Mayweather wants to face the winner of his fight with Amir Khan

Defeat for either of the 35-year-old pair could leave them starring retirement in the face.
But Brook talked down leaving the sport, citing Mayweather, 44, and rising British star Conor Benn, 25, as future opponents if he beats Khan.

He told iFL TV: “I think a lot of people want me to say I’m going to retire and what’s happening after.

“Conor Benn’s been mentioned, Mayweather’s been saying that he wants the winner, Danny Garcia’s been saying that he wants the winner, Keith Thurman’s getting active again.

“My mojo is back sat here right now speaking with you. I still feel young, I still feel fresh. I fell good. But obviously this fight is on my mind.

“A fighter, many fighters with experience in this game overlook fighters and to look for next fights after what’s in front of them.

Advertisement

“I’m just focused on Khan for this fight. Am I going to retire? Let’s see how I feel.”

But he has returned twice since, both in exhibitions, starting with a one round demolition job over featherweight kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa, 23.

More recently, in June the American legend was taken the distance over eight rounds by YouTuber Logan Paul, 26, who weighed TWO STONE more.

But Mayweather – now in talks with 20-year-old YouTuber ‘Money Kicks’ – has previously ruled out ever coming back to traditional boxing.

Meaning Brook is unlikely to convince Mayweather into a fight, but he sent out a fierce warning to rival Khan.

He said: : “I don’t know if I hate him – that’s a strong word – but I’m close to the hate side.

“I really dislike the man and I really can’t wait to punch his face in.

“I can’t wait to get my knuckles to the nearest point of the gloves and drill it straight into his face.”

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Headlines

Unimpressed Controversial Conclusion: Red Bull ‘played rough’ to help Max Verstappen win F1 title, Damon Hill claims

Published

on

Former F1 world champion Damon Hill has claimed Red Bull and team boss Christian Horner were “playing rough” as they looked to put the pressure on race director Michael Masi during the closing stages of Sunday’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Horner pleaded Masi to give championship contenders Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton “one more lap” following the safety car, with Mercedes counterpart Toto Wolff later criticising the “unacceptable” way in which the race unfolded.

Five cars were allowed to overtake the safety car, putting Verstappen directly behind Hamilton on a fresh set of soft tyres, and Hill said Red Bull were smart in how they argued for the drivers to be allowed to race for the line.

“I think these are the new rules,” Hill told Sky Sports. “I think it’s a new style of race directing, I think that Mercedes have struggled with the decisions that have been made.

Advertisement

“Red Bull played rough, but they’ve persuaded the race director that cars should be allowed to race, and it should be a robust kind of formula, and they’ve prevailed.”

Hamilton had closed the gap by winning three of the four final races of the season but the 1996 champion said Verstappen had been the better driver over the course of the season.

“You can’t have them both win, unfortunately, I think Max has fought valiantly. I think the right man won – if there can be such a thing,” Hill said.

“I feel for Lewis, he’s fought with everything he’s had, and with Mercedes as well. But they’re up against a very formidable Red Bull team and driver.”

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Headlines

“Everyone wants him to make controversial comments; they don’t understand”– Former driver weighs in on Lewis Hamilton’s silence after ……..

Published

on

Lewis Hamilton usually keeps an active social media presence, engaging with fans and promoting social causes. However, after the dramatic conclusion of his title fight with Max Verstappen, the former world champion is nowhere to be seen.

The decision to restart the race has been controversial. Yet, Lewis hasn’t expressed his views on the same. Watson believes it’s an understandable response while the FIA carries out its investigation.

Hamilton is between a rock and a hard place between his sportsmanship and his own emotions. “I think he clearly felt that the manner in which the outcome of the race was determined was very unsatisfactory”, Watson has to say.

Advertisement

Further adding, “I would agree with him on that. I think that he is taking his time, not making any announcements, public statements, whatever, and leaving the negotiation or the discussion that may or may not be taking place to his team.”

Watson also believes that this is a team issue, and Mercedes should express any disputes. – “If anybody is going to do anything about it, it’s going to have to be his team. Because he is only a part of that team,” he commented.

With Hamilton’s return to the sport up in the air, many eagerly await a response.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Adevert




Copyright © 2021 World Celeb Zone. All rights reserved.