Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton fastest ahead of Saturday’s sprint qualifying session.
Lewis Hamilton believes Red Bull and Max Verstappen won’t be rattled ahead of Saturday’s qualifying session, despite the Brit setting the fastest time on Friday. Hamilton beat Verstappen by four and a half tenths to start ahead of the pack for sprint qualifying.
Both title contenders start on the front row for Saturday’s sprint race, with Hamilton setting a 1:07.934, 0.4s quicker than championship leader Verstappen, with Valtteri Bottas 0.1s. behind in third.
Hamilton however won’t be able to qualify for pole tomorrow after taking a fifth new engine ahead of the race in Brazil, triggering a five-place grid penalty for Sunday’s main event.
Speaking after setting the fastest time, Hamilton said: “Loved today for sure you know, we’re working so hard to try and get this car right and it’s been a real, well it’s been tough.
“And so to finally get the car feeling like it did today, it feels great. It’s just a testament to all the great work that everyone’s doing in the garage and also back home, just all the work that’s going back home to try and pull out everything we can from the car.
“The last few poles I’ve had, I’ve had a penalty, bit unfortunate to have a penalty tomorrow, but it is what it is, and I’ll try and fight back.
Hamilton’s five-place grid penalty means he won’t qualify higher than sixth in Brazil, with championship leader Verstappen in with a good chance of pole position, but admitted Mercedes had been on the fence.
“I think I found out yesterday, I think right down to the last minute they were trying to say no, we’ve got to make a decision, we should be able to make it to the end, so it was a decision the team made, and I trust obviously their judgment.
When asked if he believed Mercedes pace would have rattled Red Bull, Hamilton responded: No, no – he’s starting on pole, I’m nowhere near.”
Hamilton secured his first fastest time in a qualifying session since the Hungarian Grand Prix in August, stating: “I’m so happy to be back here in Brazil. That’s the first in a long time.
Leylah Fernandez: Fans chanting my name at Indian Wells Masters felt surreal
US Open runner-up Leylah Fernandez admitted that hearing fans chant her name at the Indian Wells Masters felt “surreal.” On Friday, Fernandez played her first match since her outstanding US Open campaign and fans in the stands chanted her name.
Fernandez, who is now enjoying a career-high ranking of No. 28 in the world, saw off Alize Cornet 6-2 6-3 to progress into the Indian Wells third round. “It’s surreal. You dream of that happening, but you don’t expect that to happen …
I got goosebumps. Like, even now, my Heart suit is beating so fast … I was so happy,” Fernandez said, per Mark Masters. Fernandez was asked on what did she work after the US Open. “Everything (laughs) … We always try to look for that extra inch, extra millimetre to be better …
We worked on everything,” Fernandez claimed.
Fernandez was thrilled to meet Maria Sharapova
“I was lucky enough to to meet Maria Sharapova at the Met (Gala). We kind of chatted a little bit and she gave me some pretty good advice.
She told me her own experience and the way that she was able to bounce back,” Fernandez revealed. Meanwhile, 2020 French Open champion Iga Swiatek shared advice for Fernandez and US Open champion Emma Raducanu. “Well I would say balancing all the things you have to do on-court and all the things that [you’ve] been doing for the past years with all that new stuff,” Swiatek explained.
“Because it can overwhelm [you] at the beginning. It was good for me that Roland Garros was the last tournament of the season. I know that [Fernandez and Raducanu] probably have one or two more. “Then they’re going to have a break and they’re going to have time to reflect on [their success].
“Also having the people around you who won’t be pushing you to do more because of public relations or publicity. Just you know maybe staying calm a little bit and waiting for how you will react to all of that.”
Maria Sharapova Beautiful and Sexy on a Magazine! (PHOTOS INSIDE)
Martina Hingis Used Me! Says Ex Husband to Le Journal du Dimanche
Martina Hingis is happily back to tennis life. After leaving the circuit, she got back to living it. Just in doubles though, and some random single’s appearances in Fed Cup, just to show that despite the years and rust, she still is one of the greatest talents ever witnessed in women’s tennis.
As great as she is on court, Martina over the years has draw attention on her personal life far more than she ought to, with troubled relationships. Now, her former marriage is back on the news, with Martina’s ex husband Thibault Hutin taking on French Le Journal du Dimanche, to reveal that first of all the couple is legally still bonded and secondly that Swiss champion has used him over the years they have been together.
Hingis and Hutin got married in 2010, and while according to the media the Swiss is divorced, legally it appears the couple is yet to tear apart. In 2013 Thibault sued Martina for harassment. Their divorce is yet to be made official, and that hurts Hutin, as reported by JDC.
“My life is trash. I mistakenly left riding to preserve our marriage. I left my passion, there is nothing left. Without my family, I wouldn’t be able to pay my rent” confessed Thibault. When the couple met, Martina had just gotten back from a two-year suspension for cocaine abuse, thus she was quite fragile and not well seen by the media.
“Martina asked me to do interviews with her. Someone told me about her problems briefly, I didn’t know anything about it. Back than things were still tense. She wasn’t allowed to go to tournaments. She needed to rebuild an image.
The marriage with a good Frenchman was perfect at that time. She used me. Thinking about it now it seems obvious”. After more trouble, that including a surprising visit from Hutin to Hingis in New York that didn’t go well, the two separated in 2013.