Vanessa Bryant has settled a lawsuit filed against her by her mother, Sofia Urbieta Laine.
Laine filed a notice of unconditional settlement Wednesday in Orange County Superior Court, indicating that a request for dismissal would be filed within 45 days. Terms of the settlement were not released.
Laine accused Bryant of fraud in a lawsuit filed Dec. 15, alleging she had worked for years without pay as a “personal assistant and nanny” to her daughter’s family and that Bryant’s husband, Lakers legend Kobe Bryant, had promised to support Laine financially before he died in a helicopter crash Jan. 26, 2020.
“Unfortunately, Kobe Bryant’s promise did not see the light of day as he is now deceased and Vanessa Bryant took each and every step she could to void and cancel all of Kobe’s promises,” the lawsuit alleged.
Vanessa Bryant responded two days later, accusing her mother of attempting to “extort a financial windfall” following Kobe Bryant’s death. She has control of an estate that financial experts valued at as much as $600 million after he died.
“My husband never promised my mother anything, and he would be so disappointed in her behavior and lack of empathy,” Vanessa Bryant said in her statement.
Laine responded the following day with a statement of her own.
“All I wanted is what I worked for. Vanessa, despite everything that I have been promised and done for her and the family, has attempted to sever all ties and renege on all obligations and agreements,” she stated.
In June, Vanessa Bryant was part of a group that settled wrongful death lawsuits against the company that operated the helicopter involved in the crash that killed her husband and their daughter Gianna, as well as John Altobelli, his wife Keri and their daughter Alyssa; mother and daughter Sarah and Payton Chester; Christina Mauser; and pilot Ara Zobayan,
HELL OF A FIGHT – Kell Brook claims Floyd Mayweather wants to fight winner of his clash with Amir Khan as Brit talks down retirement
Brook and Khan are finally set to fight on February 19 in a bitter clash several years in the making.
Amir Khan and Kell Brook ahead of their February 19 fight
Kell Brook claimed Floyd Mayweather wants to face the winner of his fight with Amir Khan
Defeat for either of the 35-year-old pair could leave them starring retirement in the face.
But Brook talked down leaving the sport, citing Mayweather, 44, and rising British star Conor Benn, 25, as future opponents if he beats Khan.
He told iFL TV: “I think a lot of people want me to say I’m going to retire and what’s happening after.
“Conor Benn’s been mentioned, Mayweather’s been saying that he wants the winner, Danny Garcia’s been saying that he wants the winner, Keith Thurman’s getting active again.
“My mojo is back sat here right now speaking with you. I still feel young, I still feel fresh. I fell good. But obviously this fight is on my mind.
“A fighter, many fighters with experience in this game overlook fighters and to look for next fights after what’s in front of them.
“I’m just focused on Khan for this fight. Am I going to retire? Let’s see how I feel.”
But he has returned twice since, both in exhibitions, starting with a one round demolition job over featherweight kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa, 23.
More recently, in June the American legend was taken the distance over eight rounds by YouTuber Logan Paul, 26, who weighed TWO STONE more.
But Mayweather – now in talks with 20-year-old YouTuber ‘Money Kicks’ – has previously ruled out ever coming back to traditional boxing.
Meaning Brook is unlikely to convince Mayweather into a fight, but he sent out a fierce warning to rival Khan.
He said: : “I don’t know if I hate him – that’s a strong word – but I’m close to the hate side.
“I really dislike the man and I really can’t wait to punch his face in.
“I can’t wait to get my knuckles to the nearest point of the gloves and drill it straight into his face.”
Unimpressed Controversial Conclusion: Red Bull ‘played rough’ to help Max Verstappen win F1 title, Damon Hill claims
Former F1 world champion Damon Hill has claimed Red Bull and team boss Christian Horner were “playing rough” as they looked to put the pressure on race director Michael Masi during the closing stages of Sunday’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Horner pleaded Masi to give championship contenders Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton “one more lap” following the safety car, with Mercedes counterpart Toto Wolff later criticising the “unacceptable” way in which the race unfolded.
Five cars were allowed to overtake the safety car, putting Verstappen directly behind Hamilton on a fresh set of soft tyres, and Hill said Red Bull were smart in how they argued for the drivers to be allowed to race for the line.
“I think these are the new rules,” Hill told Sky Sports. “I think it’s a new style of race directing, I think that Mercedes have struggled with the decisions that have been made.
“Red Bull played rough, but they’ve persuaded the race director that cars should be allowed to race, and it should be a robust kind of formula, and they’ve prevailed.”
Hamilton had closed the gap by winning three of the four final races of the season but the 1996 champion said Verstappen had been the better driver over the course of the season.
“You can’t have them both win, unfortunately, I think Max has fought valiantly. I think the right man won – if there can be such a thing,” Hill said.
“I feel for Lewis, he’s fought with everything he’s had, and with Mercedes as well. But they’re up against a very formidable Red Bull team and driver.”
“Everyone wants him to make controversial comments; they don’t understand”– Former driver weighs in on Lewis Hamilton’s silence after ……..
Lewis Hamilton usually keeps an active social media presence, engaging with fans and promoting social causes. However, after the dramatic conclusion of his title fight with Max Verstappen, the former world champion is nowhere to be seen.
The decision to restart the race has been controversial. Yet, Lewis hasn’t expressed his views on the same. Watson believes it’s an understandable response while the FIA carries out its investigation.
Hamilton is between a rock and a hard place between his sportsmanship and his own emotions. “I think he clearly felt that the manner in which the outcome of the race was determined was very unsatisfactory”, Watson has to say.
Further adding, “I would agree with him on that. I think that he is taking his time, not making any announcements, public statements, whatever, and leaving the negotiation or the discussion that may or may not be taking place to his team.”
Watson also believes that this is a team issue, and Mercedes should express any disputes. – “If anybody is going to do anything about it, it’s going to have to be his team. Because he is only a part of that team,” he commented.
With Hamilton’s return to the sport up in the air, many eagerly await a response.