After his US Open 2021 loss, World No.1 Novak Djokovic did not play tennis for a while. Many even believed that the burden of missing out on history would last on him for a long time. However, Djokovic has returned and is straight to business, reaching the Rolex Paris Masters 1000 semifinals. Interestingly, he also revealed the real reason behind making a comeback in Bercy.
Notably, a record-extending sixth title in Paris for Djokovic would confirm him as the 2021 year-end World No.1. That means the Serb would hold the top spot in ATP Rankings for a record-breaking seventh time. That is why Djokovic came to Paris: to claim another historic achievement in tennis.
In the Rolex Paris Masters quarterfinals, Djokovic defeated American Taylor Fritz for the third time in 2021. He won in straight sets 6-4, 6-3.
Following the match, the 34-year-old shared the main reason behind his comeback after New York.
“Year-end no. 1 is the biggest reason I came here. Hopefully, I can do it this week. If not, then I have Turin,” Djokovic said.
Primarily, the 20-time Grand Slam champion must win in Paris to secure his ATP No.1 spot. However, if World No.2 Daniil Medvedev fails to better Djokovic in Paris, then also the Serb will make history.
But indeed, he also has qualified for the season-ending ATP Finals 2021, where he can improve his chances. Thus, he is currently a man on a mission with two matches away from history in Paris.
At present, Djokovic shares the record for most instances of year-ending World No.1 record with American legend Pete Sampras. Only time will tell whether he will get past him in 2021.
As per the draw, Djokovic will take on Wimbledon semifinalist Hubert Hurkacz in the semifinals. After that, he could potentially meet either Alexander Zverev and Daniil Medvedev in the final.
What’s most interesting, both Zverev and Medvedev have upset Djokovic from getting to history in 2021. Hence, it will all come back again to the Serbian ace in Bercy, Paris.
Above all, Djokovic will now aim to play his best tennis in Paris. Let’s see if the remaining men in the draw can stop him from history once again.
Kate Middleton’s anger at Prince William over his lifestyle: ‘Making me look bad’
KATE MIDDLETON was left furious with Prince William after he was pictured dancing on a podium alongside another woman just days after another encounter in a nightclub.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have announced Kate will host a charity Christmas carol service at Westminster Abbey next week. Taking place on December 8, the event will be televised in the lead up to Christmas. Kate and William’s increasingly integral role within the Royal Family has also shown the strength of their relationship. Earlier this year, the Cambridges celebrated 10 years of marriage. They didn’t reach the milestone without challenging moments, however, as highlighted by a 2007 report.
It claimed that William had been seen dancing on a podium in Bournemouth, attracting the attention of another woman.
This came just days after newspaper reports claimed William was seen sharing an embrace with a woman while on a “boys’ night out” in Boujis, London.
The newspaper quoted a friend of Kate’s who said the Duchess sent a warning to William.
The friend said: “Kate told William that he was making her look bad.
“She has coped for years with girls flinging themselves at her boyfriend and, for a while, she found it humorous and even flattering.
“But after his recent behaviour she gave him an ultimatum and told him that every time he behaved like that in public he was cheapening her image as well as his own.
Kate Middleton news: William and Kate have taken on a big role in the Firm
“She told him she wasn’t prepared to be treated like a doormat and that his carefree behaviour was affecting her image.
“She gave him quite a pasting. In the past, she had always let go of things like that, but this really bothered her.”
A family friend of Kate’s added: “Kate rose above all the rumours and just laughed them off, but something recently snapped in her.
“She was irritated when she read about his flirting in Bournemouth and she wasn’t best pleased to hear about the blonde he ended up with on the dance floor at Boujis.”
Kate and William endured a tough year in 2007 when they briefly split.
Reports from April 2007 also claim that William broke up with Kate via a phone call that she received while at work.
Naughty Boy’s unfortunate Meghan Markle error: ‘This is the future’
NAUGHTY BOY made a bold prediction about Meghan Markle’s place in the Royal Family, which sadly turned out to be far from the truth.
Naughty Boy, the music producer who is best known for hits such as Runnin’ and La La La, is already getting stuck into bushtucker trials as he stars in I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! He has also clashed with fellow campmate Kadeena Cox over cooking duties as the show begins in dramatic fashion. Naughty boy, whose real name is Shahid Khan, is used to keeping company with big stars, including members of the Royal Family. In February 2018, Naughty Boy performed for royalty as Prince Charles and Camilla hosted a gala dinner for the British Asian Trust.
He admitted he was “petrified” ahead of a performance for the royal couple at Buckingham Palace.
Naughty Boy said: “I was really petrified initially because there’s so much powerful energy here, but it felt right that I should be doing this.”
The DJ said: “I think this is part of the future. The whole culture is shifting to accepting just everything. For the Royal Family to spearhead that ‒ I think that’s amazing.”
Meghan’s life in the Royal Family was far from idyllic, however, as two years of regular criticism and tensions within the family culminated in the Sussexes leaving royal duties behind in 2020.
Meghan and Prince Harry later spoke about their life in the Royal Family with Oprah Winfrey.
Will Andy Murray retire from tennis?
After producing a 6-3, 4-6, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 comeback against Oscar Otte on Wednesday, a match played under the centre court lights with a sense of nostalgia, Andy Murray then bowed out of Wimbledon with a 6-4, 6-2, 6-2 defeat to Denis Shapovalov on Friday.
That loss once again raised the matter of his retirement. Murray almost retired once, but fought back from undergoing surgeries in 2018 and in 2019, operations that mean he now plays with a metal hip
t had seemed that the Scot was set to retire in 2019, so much so that a farewell video was prepared with messages from tennis legends and the other members of what had been ‘The Big Four’. That came as a shock to the three-time Grand Slam champion as he had never officially stated he’d hang up his racket. But, it did appear that the end was near.
His return at Wimbledon 2021
Murray was able to fight back from his injury nightmare, playing well in doubles and even winning another ATP men’s singles title at the 2019 European Open, his first since March of 2017.
Through a wildcard, he was able to enter Wimbledon in 2021 and spoke ahead of the tournament about how excited he was.
“A few years ago, I thought I wasn’t going to be able to play there ever again,” he told GQ.
“So, even though the last 18 months have been difficult from a tennis perspective, I’ve still been able to play a little bit.
“Unfortunately, I haven’t been at the level that I want as consistently as I wanted to, because of the injuries, but then again before the hip operation I also had come to terms with the fact that I might never play tennis again. So it’s been hard.
“But I’m still excited to be out there and getting the chance to compete in events such as Wimbledon.”
Murray hints at retirement
After bowing out of Wimbledon in the third round, though, Murray was more pessimistic when asked about his future.
“There is a part of me that feels a bit like I have put in so much work the last three months and, you know, ultimately I didn’t play how I would want and expect,” he said after his loss to Shapovalov.
“So, it’s like, is it worth it?”
MÁS EN MARCA