Connect with us

Headlines

Kobe Bryant’s widow settles lawsuit against pilot and helicopter firm over fatal crash

Published

on

Details of the deal are being kept secret, but the helicopter’s operator denied responsibility, saying it was an “act of God”.

Kobe Bryant’s widow has agreed to settle a lawsuit over the helicopter crash that killed the basketball star, his daughter and seven others.

The group died when their helicopter crashed into a hillside in thick fog and burst into flames on 26 January 2020.

They were on their way to a youth basketball tournament at Bryant’s Mamba Sports Academy and crashed in the San Fernando Valley, north of Los Angeles.

Emergency crews at Bryant crash site
Vanessa Bryant and relatives of the other victims filed a settlement agreement with a federal judge in LA on Tuesday, but the terms of the deal are confidential and won’t be made public.

If approved by the court, it would end a wrongful death and negligence lawsuit against the operator of the helicopter and the estate of the pilot.

Advertisement
A National Transportation Safety Board report, released in February, blamed pilot Ara Zobayan for the crash.

It found poor decisions led him to fly blindly into cloud where he became disoriented and thought he was climbing when he was actually descending.

MORE ON KOBE BRYANT
Ms Bryant's lawyers have reacted furiously to a request that she undergo an eight-hour psychiatric evaluation
Kobe Bryant’s widow sues over first responders who shared photos of his body – but lawyers fight back

Kobe Bryant and his wife, Vanessa, pictured in 2018
Kobe Bryant’s wife Vanessa names four LA sheriff’s deputies accused of sharing grisly crash pictures

Jul 27, 2019; Kobe Bryant is pictured with his daughter Gianna at the WNBA All Star Game at Mandalay Bay Events Center. Mandatory Credit: Stephen R. Sylvanie-USA TODAY Sports
Kobe Bryant’s helicopter pilot blamed for fatal flight after flying into clouds

A report blamed poor decisions by pilot Ara Zobayan for the crash
The report also criticised the aircraft’s owner, Island Express Helicopters, for poor oversight of safety matters.

The families’ lawsuit had claimed the company failed to train or supervise Zobayan properly. It also said he was negligent to fly in fog and should have aborted the flight.

Island Express Helicopters said the crash was “an act of God” and denied responsibility.

It is countersuing two federal air traffic controllers, claiming the crash was caused by their “erroneous acts and/or omissions”.

As well as Bryant and his daughter Gianna, the others killed were Orange baseball coach John Altobelli, his wife Keri and daughter Alyssa, Christina Mauser, who helped Bryant coach his daughter’s basketball team, and Sarah Chester and her daughter Payton.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Kate Middleton’s anger at Prince William over his lifestyle: ‘Making me look bad’

Published

on

KATE MIDDLETON was left furious with Prince William after he was pictured dancing on a podium alongside another woman just days after another encounter in a nightclub.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have announced Kate will host a charity Christmas carol service at Westminster Abbey next week. Taking place on December 8, the event will be televised in the lead up to Christmas. Kate and William’s increasingly integral role within the Royal Family has also shown the strength of their relationship. Earlier this year, the Cambridges celebrated 10 years of marriage. They didn’t reach the milestone without challenging moments, however, as highlighted by a 2007 report.

It claimed that William had been seen dancing on a podium in Bournemouth, attracting the attention of another woman.

This came just days after newspaper reports claimed William was seen sharing an embrace with a woman while on a “boys’ night out” in Boujis, London.

The newspaper quoted a friend of Kate’s who said the Duchess sent a warning to William.

The friend said: “Kate told William that he was making her look bad.

“She has coped for years with girls flinging themselves at her boyfriend and, for a while, she found it humorous and even flattering.

“But after his recent behaviour she gave him an ultimatum and told him that every time he behaved like that in public he was cheapening her image as well as his own.

Kate Middleton news: William and Kate have taken on a big role in the Firm
“She told him she wasn’t prepared to be treated like a doormat and that his carefree behaviour was affecting her image.

“She gave him quite a pasting. In the past, she had always let go of things like that, but this really bothered her.”

A family friend of Kate’s added: “Kate rose above all the rumours and just laughed them off, but something recently snapped in her.

“She was irritated when she read about his flirting in Bournemouth and she wasn’t best pleased to hear about the blonde he ended up with on the dance floor at Boujis.”

Kate and William endured a tough year in 2007 when they briefly split.

Reports from April 2007 also claim that William broke up with Kate via a phone call that she received while at work.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Naughty Boy’s unfortunate Meghan Markle error: ‘This is the future’

Published

on

NAUGHTY BOY made a bold prediction about Meghan Markle’s place in the Royal Family, which sadly turned out to be far from the truth.

Naughty Boy, the music producer who is best known for hits such as Runnin’ and La La La, is already getting stuck into bushtucker trials as he stars in I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! He has also clashed with fellow campmate Kadeena Cox over cooking duties as the show begins in dramatic fashion. Naughty boy, whose real name is Shahid Khan, is used to keeping company with big stars, including members of the Royal Family. In February 2018, Naughty Boy performed for royalty as Prince Charles and Camilla hosted a gala dinner for the British Asian Trust.

He admitted he was “petrified” ahead of a performance for the royal couple at Buckingham Palace.

Naughty Boy said: “I was really petrified initially because there’s so much powerful energy here, but it felt right that I should be doing this.”

The DJ said: “I think this is part of the future. The whole culture is shifting to accepting just everything. For the Royal Family to spearhead that ‒ I think that’s amazing.”

Meghan’s life in the Royal Family was far from idyllic, however, as two years of regular criticism and tensions within the family culminated in the Sussexes leaving royal duties behind in 2020.

Meghan and Prince Harry later spoke about their life in the Royal Family with Oprah Winfrey.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Headlines

Will Andy Murray retire from tennis?

Published

on

After producing a 6-3, 4-6, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 comeback against Oscar Otte on Wednesday, a match played under the centre court lights with a sense of nostalgia, Andy Murray then bowed out of Wimbledon with a 6-4, 6-2, 6-2 defeat to Denis Shapovalov on Friday.

That loss once again raised the matter of his retirement. Murray almost retired once, but fought back from undergoing surgeries in 2018 and in 2019, operations that mean he now plays with a metal hip

t had seemed that the Scot was set to retire in 2019, so much so that a farewell video was prepared with messages from tennis legends and the other members of what had been ‘The Big Four’. That came as a shock to the three-time Grand Slam champion as he had never officially stated he’d hang up his racket. But, it did appear that the end was near.

His return at Wimbledon 2021
Murray was able to fight back from his injury nightmare, playing well in doubles and even winning another ATP men’s singles title at the 2019 European Open, his first since March of 2017.

Through a wildcard, he was able to enter Wimbledon in 2021 and spoke ahead of the tournament about how excited he was.

“A few years ago, I thought I wasn’t going to be able to play there ever again,” he told GQ.

“So, even though the last 18 months have been difficult from a tennis perspective, I’ve still been able to play a little bit.

“Unfortunately, I haven’t been at the level that I want as consistently as I wanted to, because of the injuries, but then again before the hip operation I also had come to terms with the fact that I might never play tennis again. So it’s been hard.

“But I’m still excited to be out there and getting the chance to compete in events such as Wimbledon.”

Murray hints at retirement
After bowing out of Wimbledon in the third round, though, Murray was more pessimistic when asked about his future.

“There is a part of me that feels a bit like I have put in so much work the last three months and, you know, ultimately I didn’t play how I would want and expect,” he said after his loss to Shapovalov.

“So, it’s like, is it worth it?”

MÁS EN MARCA

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Adevert




Copyright © 2021 World Celeb Zone. All rights reserved.