Connect with us

Headlines

Emma Raducanu’s massive announcement after Ash Barty bombshell

Published

on

Emma Raducanu has accepted a wildcard invitation to the prestigious Indian Wells Masters event, just 24 hours after Ash Barty announced her withdrawal.

Organisers announced on Tuesday that newly crowned US Open champion Raducanu has been granted a wildcard into the California tournament starting next week.

Indian Wells serves as a 1000-level event on the ATP and WTA tours and is one of the biggest events of the year outside of the four grand slams.

The 18-year-old British phenomenon, who stunned the tennis world after winning the US Open as an unseeded qualifier, will be making her debut at the rescheduled event from October 4-17.

It is the latest stop on a remarkable season for Raducanu, who only made her WTA Tour debut in June.

The teenager reached the fourth round at Wimbledon in her grand slam debut, before becoming the first qualifier in history to win a grand slam with her victory at Flushing Meadows earlier this month.

Raducanu’s US Open triumph has catapulted her up the world rankings, rising more than 100 places to World No.22.

Remaining wildcard places and the singles and qualifying draws for Indian Wells will be confirmed later this week.

The tournament was rescheduled to October from its traditional slot in March due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Ash Barty joins big names in missing Indian Wells
On Monday, it was confirmed that World No.1 Barty would not be playing Indian Wells, throwing doubt on the rest of her season.

The Aussie star hasn’t competed since her shock loss in the third round of the US Open at the start of this month.

She was due to compete for the third time at Indian Wells, but Monday’s confirmation that she is pulling out makes it increasingly probable that Barty’s successful season is over.

Fellow big names Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams will also be missing from the prestigious event.

Earlier this month, Barty’s coach Craig Tyzzer told AAP that the 25-year-old might not defend her WTA Finals crown in November because the tournament that marks the climax to the season had been moved to Mexico.

Tyzzer warned that she might skip the event because of challenging conditions in Guadalajara.

“We only just found out it’s in Mexico at 1500 metres (above sea level) and they’re using pressure-less balls,” Tyzzer told AAP.

“Pressure-less balls absolutely fly. It’s a ball that if you use it in normal conditions, it doesn’t bounce.

“In conditions they’ve never played, in a country they don’t play and at altitude, I just feel it’s ridiculous.”

He added that Barty’s participation was “a decision we’ll have to sit and mull over quite a bit.”

Barty has endured a demanding year on the road, winning five titles and keeping a lock on her No.1 ranking after setting off around the world in March.

Her priority is to properly prepared for a crack at the Australian Open in January after two weeks of quarantine on her return home.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Leylah Fernandez: Fans chanting my name at Indian Wells Masters felt surreal

Published

on

US Open runner-up Leylah Fernandez admitted that hearing fans chant her name at the Indian Wells Masters felt “surreal.” On Friday, Fernandez played her first match since her outstanding US Open campaign and fans in the stands chanted her name.

Fernandez, who is now enjoying a career-high ranking of No. 28 in the world, saw off Alize Cornet 6-2 6-3 to progress into the Indian Wells third round. “It’s surreal. You dream of that happening, but you don’t expect that to happen …

I got goosebumps. Like, even now, my Heart suit is beating so fast … I was so happy,” Fernandez said, per Mark Masters. Fernandez was asked on what did she work after the US Open. “Everything (laughs) … We always try to look for that extra inch, extra millimetre to be better …

We worked on everything,” Fernandez claimed.

Fernandez was thrilled to meet Maria Sharapova
“I was lucky enough to to meet Maria Sharapova at the Met (Gala). We kind of chatted a little bit and she gave me some pretty good advice.

She told me her own experience and the way that she was able to bounce back,” Fernandez revealed. Meanwhile, 2020 French Open champion Iga Swiatek shared advice for Fernandez and US Open champion Emma Raducanu. “Well I would say balancing all the things you have to do on-court and all the things that [you’ve] been doing for the past years with all that new stuff,” Swiatek explained.

“Because it can overwhelm [you] at the beginning. It was good for me that Roland Garros was the last tournament of the season. I know that [Fernandez and Raducanu] probably have one or two more. “Then they’re going to have a break and they’re going to have time to reflect on [their success].

“Also having the people around you who won’t be pushing you to do more because of public relations or publicity. Just you know maybe staying calm a little bit and waiting for how you will react to all of that.”

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Headlines

Maria Sharapova Beautiful and Sexy on a Magazine! (PHOTOS INSIDE)

Published

on

Here are some sexy shots of Maria Sharapova. The Russian used some free time off the courts to be immortalized by Bloomberg Pursuits Magazine, before Wimbledon

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Headlines

Martina Hingis Used Me! Says Ex Husband to Le Journal du Dimanche

Published

on

Martina Hingis is happily back to tennis life. After leaving the circuit, she got back to living it. Just in doubles though, and some random single’s appearances in Fed Cup, just to show that despite the years and rust, she still is one of the greatest talents ever witnessed in women’s tennis.

As great as she is on court, Martina over the years has draw attention on her personal life far more than she ought to, with troubled relationships. Now, her former marriage is back on the news, with Martina’s ex husband Thibault Hutin taking on French Le Journal du Dimanche, to reveal that first of all the couple is legally still bonded and secondly that Swiss champion has used him over the years they have been together.

Hingis and Hutin got married in 2010, and while according to the media the Swiss is divorced, legally it appears the couple is yet to tear apart. In 2013 Thibault sued Martina for harassment. Their divorce is yet to be made official, and that hurts Hutin, as reported by JDC.

“My life is trash. I mistakenly left riding to preserve our marriage. I left my passion, there is nothing left. Without my family, I wouldn’t be able to pay my rent” confessed Thibault. When the couple met, Martina had just gotten back from a two-year suspension for cocaine abuse, thus she was quite fragile and not well seen by the media.

“Martina asked me to do interviews with her. Someone told me about her problems briefly, I didn’t know anything about it. Back than things were still tense. She wasn’t allowed to go to tournaments. She needed to rebuild an image.

The marriage with a good Frenchman was perfect at that time. She used me. Thinking about it now it seems obvious”. After more trouble, that including a surprising visit from Hutin to Hingis in New York that didn’t go well, the two separated in 2013.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Adevert




Copyright © 2021 World Celeb Zone. All rights reserved.