Marin Cilic claimed the US Open title in 2014, becoming the first player born after 1987 with a Major crown. Seven years later, only one player has joined him on that list, with Dominic Thiem conquering New York a year ago to secure the first Major crown for those born in the 90s.
The main reason for that is well-known, with Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic lifting 60 Major trophies since Wimbledon 2003! An incredible group of young guns born in 1996 and after is eager to change that and prove their quality on the most notable scene, with three already playing in a Major final.
Daniil Medvedev lost the 2019 US Open title clash to Rafael Nadal in an epic five sets before suffering another loss to Novak Djokovic this February in Melbourne.
Daniil Medvedev seeks the first Major title at the US Open.
Alexander Zverev was two sets to love in front of Dominic Thiem in New York last year and served for the victory, only to lose in five sets and stay empty-handed.
Medvedev would love to end Djokovic’s streak in New York, saying he is eager to keep all three legends on 20 Major titles as long as possible. Medvedev is the 2nd seed and will face Djokovic in the title clash if they both beat six rivals, hoping for a better outcome than in February when he failed to claim a set against world no.
1 at the Australian Open. “Novak was a set and a break in front of Alexander Zverev before the German brought a fantastic level to beat him. That’s what you have to do against him. In the Roland Garros final, Stefanos led two sets to love against Novak, and I played versus him in the Australian Open final, not winning a set but reaching the title clash.
We are going to try to get him. Of course, this competition to be the first of these young guys to win a Major is challenging, as everybody wants to do it, but there will be only one who makes it. Since I’m here, I want to say I will try my best to keep Novak at 20 Majors and prevent him from passing Federer and Nadal,” Daniil Medvedev said.
Leylah Fernandez: Fans chanting my name at Indian Wells Masters felt surreal
US Open runner-up Leylah Fernandez admitted that hearing fans chant her name at the Indian Wells Masters felt “surreal.” On Friday, Fernandez played her first match since her outstanding US Open campaign and fans in the stands chanted her name.
Fernandez, who is now enjoying a career-high ranking of No. 28 in the world, saw off Alize Cornet 6-2 6-3 to progress into the Indian Wells third round. “It’s surreal. You dream of that happening, but you don’t expect that to happen …
I got goosebumps. Like, even now, my Heart suit is beating so fast … I was so happy,” Fernandez said, per Mark Masters. Fernandez was asked on what did she work after the US Open. “Everything (laughs) … We always try to look for that extra inch, extra millimetre to be better …
We worked on everything,” Fernandez claimed.
Fernandez was thrilled to meet Maria Sharapova
“I was lucky enough to to meet Maria Sharapova at the Met (Gala). We kind of chatted a little bit and she gave me some pretty good advice.
She told me her own experience and the way that she was able to bounce back,” Fernandez revealed. Meanwhile, 2020 French Open champion Iga Swiatek shared advice for Fernandez and US Open champion Emma Raducanu. “Well I would say balancing all the things you have to do on-court and all the things that [you’ve] been doing for the past years with all that new stuff,” Swiatek explained.
“Because it can overwhelm [you] at the beginning. It was good for me that Roland Garros was the last tournament of the season. I know that [Fernandez and Raducanu] probably have one or two more. “Then they’re going to have a break and they’re going to have time to reflect on [their success].
“Also having the people around you who won’t be pushing you to do more because of public relations or publicity. Just you know maybe staying calm a little bit and waiting for how you will react to all of that.”
Maria Sharapova Beautiful and Sexy on a Magazine! (PHOTOS INSIDE)
Martina Hingis Used Me! Says Ex Husband to Le Journal du Dimanche
Martina Hingis is happily back to tennis life. After leaving the circuit, she got back to living it. Just in doubles though, and some random single’s appearances in Fed Cup, just to show that despite the years and rust, she still is one of the greatest talents ever witnessed in women’s tennis.
As great as she is on court, Martina over the years has draw attention on her personal life far more than she ought to, with troubled relationships. Now, her former marriage is back on the news, with Martina’s ex husband Thibault Hutin taking on French Le Journal du Dimanche, to reveal that first of all the couple is legally still bonded and secondly that Swiss champion has used him over the years they have been together.
Hingis and Hutin got married in 2010, and while according to the media the Swiss is divorced, legally it appears the couple is yet to tear apart. In 2013 Thibault sued Martina for harassment. Their divorce is yet to be made official, and that hurts Hutin, as reported by JDC.
“My life is trash. I mistakenly left riding to preserve our marriage. I left my passion, there is nothing left. Without my family, I wouldn’t be able to pay my rent” confessed Thibault. When the couple met, Martina had just gotten back from a two-year suspension for cocaine abuse, thus she was quite fragile and not well seen by the media.
“Martina asked me to do interviews with her. Someone told me about her problems briefly, I didn’t know anything about it. Back than things were still tense. She wasn’t allowed to go to tournaments. She needed to rebuild an image.
The marriage with a good Frenchman was perfect at that time. She used me. Thinking about it now it seems obvious”. After more trouble, that including a surprising visit from Hutin to Hingis in New York that didn’t go well, the two separated in 2013.