he US Open’s decision to offer players the services of licensed mental health providers and ‘quiet rooms’ at the hard-court grand slam has sparked an ugly debate online.
The United States Tennis Association announced the initiatives this week, saying it wants to “ensure that a comprehensive and holistic approach will be taken with all aspects of player health, including mental health.”
“Our goal is to make mental health services as readily available to athletes as services for a sprained ankle – and with no stigma attached,” said Dr Brian Hainline, a USTA first vice president.
“We will provide an environment that fosters wellness while providing the necessary resources to readily allow mental health care seeking.
“Quiet rooms and other support services will be provided. The US Open will work closely and collaboratively with the WTA and ATP sport science and medicine staff on site in an effort to ensure players understand the enhanced medical services available, and how to access these health offerings as needed.”
Scroll back up to restore default view.
Defending US Open champion Naomi Osaka put mental health in the spotlight when she pulled out of the French Open in late May, then decided not to play Wimbledon.
She said she has “huge waves of anxiety” before speaking at media conferences and that she has “suffered long bouts of depression.”
However the US Open’s new initiatives haven’t gone down well with some, with controversial American journalist Megyn Kelly among those to express their disdain.
“Good Lord please never let the snowflakes who need this sign up for our military,” she tweeted.
Former NBA player and podcast host Rex Chapman savaged Kelly’s take, replying: “My God. A person who’s never played a higher level sport in her life chiming-in on something she has absolutely no clue about. America. Revolting. Smh.
“She’s all here when we win games and medals and s*** but when we fail to live up to her white privilege – we suck.
“Young athletes are child actors in many ways. Having no sympathy for what their young brains might be going through – in order to entertain you – is confusing.”
American tennis player Tennys Sandgren described Kelly’s comments as “disgusting”, while Aussie great Rennae Stubbs was also fuming.
Naomi Osaka left ‘muddled’ ahead of US Open
Meanwhile, Osaka has revealed how she is left “muddled” by struggling to divorce tennis from her personal life.
The World No.3 broke down in tears in Cincinatti earlier this month at her first press conference since withdrawing from the French Open.
Asked ahead of the US Open whether she saw the tennis court as her sanctuary, Osaka replied: “It would be nice if there was that line for me, but no.
“I’m the type of person that everything is sort of the same. So, like, I feel like maybe you could see it earlier on in my career.
“If there was something that was not right in my personal life, you could kind of see it in my playing.
“So it would be really cool if I could draw that line and be able to be like a robot Superman that could go on the court, focus just on tennis.
“But, no, I’m the type that kind of focuses on everything at one time. That’s why, like, everything is sort of muddled to me.”
The Japanese star, who lit the cauldron at the Tokyo Olympics, has said in the past she feels self-conscious at times about going out in public.
She will be back in the spotlight when the US Open begins on Monday with crowds back after the coronavirus pandemic.
“It will definitely feel a bit different,” Osaka said.
“I don’t really know how to describe it, but I kind of had to get over the feeling of people’s gazes feeling a bit different to me.
“At the same time I started to tell myself that it is what it is. I can’t really change people’s perception of me.
“It might make me feel a little bit nervous. But first rounds always make me feel a little nervous.”
‘If Roger Federer, Nadal and Djokovic hadn’t existed…’, says ATP ace
The Big 3 have dominated the last decade and a half of this sport, as well as having collected as many as 60 Grand Slam titles. Many believe that their opponents were unlucky to happen in this era, not having had the chance to win as much as they deserved.
Andy Murray has been for many years the most valid alternative to the domination of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic, so much so that he hoisted himself at the top of the ATP ranking in 2016. The Scottish phenomenon boasts three Majors in his palmarés, without forgetting his triumph at the Finals five years ago.
Injuries have affected the Brit’s career in recent seasons, having brought him one step away from retirement before his lifesaving hip operation. Although he has not managed to reach the same level as in the past, the former world number 1 is back to having fun on the tennis court and can still take away some satisfaction.
In an interview given during the Antwerp tournament, Murray was asked if he was happy to play at the same time as Roger, Rafa and Nole.
Andy Murray on the Big 3
“Do I regret being born at the same time as Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic? It’s a difficult question,” Murray said.
“Obviously, on the one hand, I regret it because I tell myself that I could have won a lot more if they hadn’t been there or if I had been 5 or 6 years younger. I would have had more opportunities. On the other hand, I had the opportunity to play and challenge the best players in history in the biggest tournaments.”
The Scot believes that facing such high-quality opposition in so many big matches helped him improve as a player. “I was able to face Rafael Nadal at Roland Garros, Roger Federer at Wimbledon, Novak Djokovic at the Australian Open and the US Open and always in the final, even at the Olympic Games,” Murray said.
“I obviously did not win all these meetings but I won a few. I feel lucky to have been able to play against them, they allowed me to improve by setting the bar so high.” Andy Murray was also asked which young players were most likely to dominate the tour in the years to come.
“For me, right now, Medvedev is best equipped to win on hard,” Murray said. “He just won the US Open, but before that his hard results were excellent. I think his game is more complete than the others, (but) on clay it’s hard to say.”
Naomi Osaka cries after question from ‘bully’ reporter in first press conference since French Open media flap
Nearly three months after her French Open media blackout prompted a firestorm and debates about media and mental health, Naomi Osaka returned to the press conference stage for the first time on Monday.
She broke down in tears.
The four-time Grand Slam champion spoke with reporters ahead of this week’s Western & Southern Open, where she has pledged any and all of her winnings from the tournament to Haiti earthquake relief.
She immediately faced questioning about her relationship with media from the Cincinnati Enquirer’s Paul Daugherty, who prefaced his question by declaring “you’re not crazy about dealing with us … yet you have a lot of outside interests that are served by having a media platform.” He then asked, “how do you balance the two?”
“That’s interesting,” Osaka said after asking for clarification on what Daugherty meant by “I’m not crazy about dealing with you guys.”
“… I would say the occasion, like when to do the press conference is what I feel is the most difficult.”
She then paused to gather her thoughts.
“I’m actually very interested in that point of view,” she continued after the moderator asked if she’d like to move on. “For me I feel like this is something that I can’t really speak for everybody, I can only speak for myself. But ever since I was younger, I’ve had a lot of media interest on me, and I think it’s because of my background as well as how I play.
“But I would also say, I’m not really sure how to balance it too, I’m figuring it out at the same time as you are, I would say.”
As another reporter asked about tennis and her Haiti pledge (3:45 above), Osaka started to cry. She then took a break from the podium before returning to address more questions from reporters.
Osaka’s agent slams ‘bully’ reporter
After the press conference, Osaka’s agent Stuart Duguid criticized Daugherty in a statement while describing him as a “bully.”
“The bully at the Cincinnati Enquirer is the epitome of why player / media relations are so fraught right now,” Duguid said, per The New York Times’ Ben Rothenberg. “Everyone on that Zoom will agree that his tone was all wrong and his sole purpose was to intimidate. Really appalling behavior.
“And this insinuation that Naomi owes her off court success to the media is a myth — don’t be so self-indulgent.”
Daugherty has not responded to Duguid’s criticism.
Osaka ‘proud’ of taking stance after talking with other athletes
Osaka made brief appearances at media scrums after her matches at the Tokyo Olympics. But Monday marked the first time she’s sat down for a formal press conference since criticizing the format as taxing on hers and other athletes’ mental health.
This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.
Osaka told reporters on Monday that she was initially embarrassed at the onset of the uproar, but that she’s proud of her stance after hearing support from other athletes at the Olympics.
“I would say for me in that moment I wasn’t really proud,” Osaka said. “I felt like it was something I needed to do for myself more than anything. I felt like I holed up in my house for a couple of weeks, and I was a little bit embarrassed to go out because I didn’t know if people were looking at me in a different way than they usually did before.
“I think the biggest eye-opener was going to the Olympics and having other athletes come up to me and say that they were really glad that I did what I did. So after all that, yeah, I’m proud of what I did, and I think it was something that needed to be done.”
As the tournament’s No. 2 seed, Osaka received a bye for the Western & Southern Open’s first round. She’ll open play in the second round against the winner of Tuesday’s match between Coco Gauff and Hsieh Su-wei.
Popular Tennis Star Nudes Leaked online – See Photos
Maria Kirilenko has reportedly become the latest celebrity to fall victim to apparent leaked nude photos scandal. Highly personal and private photographs from her mobile phone were posted on several celebrity gossip websites yesterday
Celebrities and nude photo scandals seem to go hand-in-hand. The 34-year-old tennis player’s nude photos were leaked online through hacked phone on Friday (October 22, 2021) and spread across the internet like wildfire. “The FBI is aware of the alleged hacking incident and is looking into it,” an FBI official told the press.
Nude Picture Controversy in Russian Magazine
The editor of a Russian celebrity gossip magazine defended its use of the photos, citing there was “a clear public interest in publishing the Maria Kirilenko pictures, in order for the debate around them to be fully informed.” That’s also why we, at Fulloaded, decided to publish all the nude photos. In public interest and just for the sake of information.
Note: graphic content for younger viewers
“Maria Kirilenko Nude Leaked Photos” Gallery
Five nude photos (apparently “hacked” from her phone) have surfaced and spread across the internet
The nude figures photos were probably taken by the tennis player with her phone, during a visit at the Louvre Museum in Paris earlier this month. Some of you may recognize the nude “Grand Odalisque” by French painter Ingres, the nude “Sainte Marie-Madeleine” by German artist Gregor Erhart, a Roman marble of a nude wounded Gaul, an Egyptian nude porcelain doll, and probably a picture of convalescing Spinee playing with a tennis ball (while the latter is unlikely to be linked to the nude photo scandal).
Besides being a talented tennis player, Maria Kirilenko seems to also nurture a secret passion for fine art and nude photography.
The FBI is investigating the celebrity phone and email hacking case. Meanwhile the tennis player leaked nude photos are making a sensation on the internet.