Connect with us

Entertainment

Tennis great exposes ugly truth about Novak Djokovic’s Wimbledon win

Published

on

 

 

 

 

Aussie tennis great Pat Cash has declared Novak Djokovic’s Wimbledon triumph came against “one of the weaker men’s side draws” in recent years.

The World No.1 took another step towards cementing his status as the male GOAT as he earned a record-equalling 20th grand slam at the All England Club.

 

 

 

Djokovic declared himself as the best player in tennis on Sunday after dousing Matteo Berrettini’s fire in a 6-7 (4-7) 6-4 6-4 6-3 victory in the final.

In doing so, the Serbian superstar equalled the historic slam tally of great rivals Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.

 

 

 

But according to Cash, who won Wimbledon in 1987, Djokovic’s victory came against one of the weaker male contingents he’s seen at the grass-court major for a while.

“Certainly Wimbledon – without disrespecting the other players – was one of the weaker men’s side draws that I’ve seen in many, many years,” he told L’Equipe on Tuesday.

 

 

 

 

“And that’s because we’ve got two of the big stars are coming back from injuries – Andy Murray and Roger Federer – who played well but weren’t at the peak of their career.

“The younger players are coming through, but they’re not quite there yet.

 

 

 

 

“And Novak is just sitting on top of that mountain as the king of the castle.”

Djokovic only played three seeded players on his march to a sixth Wimbledon crown – Christian Garin (17) Denis Shapovalov (10) and Berrettini (7).

 

 

 

Great rival Nadal opted to skip Wimbledon because of the short two-week turnaround following the French Open.

Pat Cash urges Djokovic to chase Grand Slam, not Golden Slam
Meanwhile, Cash believes Djokovic’s priority should now be winning the US Open to become the first man since Rod Laver in 1969 to complete a calendar year Grand Slam.

 

 

 

Djokovic also has the chance to become just the second player in tennis history after Steffi Graf to secure a ‘Golden Slam’ by winning all four majors and an Olympic gold medal in the same year.

But Cash reckons the Olympics should not be Djokovic’s focus.

 

 

 

“This is the year that Novak can really grab the impossible dream – you know it really is, it’s there. The Olympics – okay, maybe he wants to do that,” he said.

Pat Cash, pictured here watching the Wimbledon semi-final between Matteo Berrettini and Hubert Hurkacz.
Pat Cash (R) watches the Wimbledon semi-final between Matteo Berrettini and Hubert Hurkacz. (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

 

 

“But certainly, his goal is now to try and win all four grand slams in the calendar year.

“It’s not easy to do, but I really do think it’s in his sights and that has got to be his priority. It’s the absolute peak of our sport to win all four grand slams.”

After saluting at Wimbledon, Djokovic said he is “50-50” about competing at the Tokyo Olympics following a fan ban and restrictions on the number of people he can take to the Games.

 

 

 

He had previously been vocal about trying to become the first man to win all four slams and Olympic tennis gold in the same year.

But he appeared unsure about a Games tilt after Olympic organisers last week barred spectators from Tokyo venues as a surge in Covid-19 cases forced Japan to declare a state of emergency in the capital city that will last throughout the multi-sport event which starts on July 23.

“I’ll have to think about it,” Djokovic said.

“My plan was always to go to Olympic Games. But right now I’m a little bit divided. It’s kind of 50-50 because of what I heard in the last couple days.”

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Entertainment

KATE, Duchess of Cambridge makes jaws drop after sharing a breathtaking picture from the Lake District

Published

on

The Duchess of Cambridge spent an active day on land and water in the Lake District in the rugged northwest of England.

As part of her ongoing campaign to showcase the benefits of spending time in nature, Kate kicked off the day by going mountain biking with some air cadets.

 

 

The mother of three, 39, “passionately believes that spending time outdoors plays a pivotal role in children and young people’s future health and happiness, building foundations that last over a lifetime by encouraging active exploration and the opportunity to form and strengthen positive relationships,” according to the palace.

 

 

When she visited the area in June 2019 with Prince William, Kate told locals that her children love the area and walking in the fells. She also recalled how, when she was growing up, she loved to go boulder hopping in the countless streams that criss-cross the mountainsides.

 

 

Tuesday’s visit came as the RAF Air Cadets Windermere Adventure Training Centre was opened following a refit costing around $3 million (£2 million). Kate is the Honorary Air Commandant of the Royal Air Force Cadets. Hundreds of cadets from around the U.K. will use the center during their visits to the spectacular Lake District “to build their confidence and leadership skills” as they work toward achieving their Duke of Edinburgh Awards, Kate’s office at Kensington Palace said.

 

 

After her morning with the air cadets, Kate was set to hear more about how the stunning lakeland area also provided healing from one of Europe’s darkest chapters: the aftermath of the Holocaust.

 

 

She joined a boat trip with two of the Windermere Children, a group of 300 Holocaust survivors who were brought to stay in the Lake District in 1945 to help them recuperate following the atrocities they experienced in concentration camps and the ghettos of Nazi-occupied Europe.

“She was absolutely delightful,” Ike Alterman, a 93-year-old survivor from Poland who was a prisoner at Auschwitz, Buchenwald and Theresienstadt, told PEOPLE. “We laughed, she asked questions and she wanted to know the answers. We talked about her kids and my kids, and how we love the lakes. I have two girls and two grandchildren. I told her what happened to me during the war and when I arrived and how I progressed in business later.”

He added, “I didn’t know what to expect, but we spoke like a couple of friends. She was so down-to-Earth.”

Arek Hersh, 92, was also joined by the Duchess on the boat. A survivor of Auschwitz, he lost his parents and his brothers and sisters — in total 81 members of his family perished. He settled in Leeds, Yorkshire, and worked as a mechanic and, in later years, as a landlord for students in the city. He is featured in the 2020 film The Windermere Children and the documentary The Windermere Children: In Their Own Words.

“It was very nice. She was very interested,” he told PEOPLE. “It brought back happy memories of being on the lake.”

This group of children were called the ‘Windermere Children’. I wanted to be able to meet some of the survivors Ike & Arek in person to hear their stories; about how they went on to create their own companies, write a book & to this day, still sneak in the odd round of golf.(2/3) pic.twitter.com/XNTimAxZ8K

— The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (@KensingtonRoyal) September 21, 2021
The Duchess’s office explained she wanted to meet some of those who came to the area at the time and hear how they had been helped to heal from their traumatic experiences by undertaking outdoor recreation, sport and art therapy at the Calgarth Estate nearby.

That poignant part of Kate’s visit to the Lake District very much fit in with both her and the other royals’ desire to engender religious tolerance and understanding, as well as to find imaginative ways to educate about past atrocities.

Last year, Kate highlighted some of the incredible stories of survival amid the Nazi occupation of much of Europe when she photographed Holocaust survivors and their grandchildren.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Dr Shola savages attacks on Prince Harry and Meghan’s Time cover ‘Confidence and love!’

Published

on

DR Shola Mos-Shogbamimu slammed attacks on Prince Harry and Meghan’s Time magazine cover as she remarked on the “confidence and love” the couple showed in their latest pictures.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have been swarmed with criticisms following their Time magazine front cover and their addition to 2021’s most influential person list. Royal Editor and commentator Robert Jobson questioned what the pair had done to warrant the accolade, with the Australian Today show mocking Prince Harry for looking like Meghan’s hairdresser. Dr Shola appeared on the Jeremy Vine show and defended the Sussexes, telling programme viewers she saw nothing but “love and confidence” reflected in the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

Speaking on the Jeremy Vine show, Dr Shola defended the Sussex after their Time cover was ridiculed by royal commentators.

She told the show: “Let me tell you this, what I see in that picture is confidence, I see love.

“I see two people who’ve taken a picture and the picture looks good, nothing else, we don’t need to add anything else.

“We don’t need to read too much into it, yes Meghan is a feminist and Harry demonstrates he is supportive of his wife.

Speaking on GB News, host Dan Wootton took aim at the Time magazine cover, stating he “hated” the pictures.

He said: “It’s just what you’d actually expect from the Montecito mansion and publicity machine in California.

“I just hated it, I didn’t like it at all, and I don’t know what Time magazine’s doing, what are they celebrating them for?”

Mr Jobson replied: “I don’t know, when I looked at the photograph it looks like [Prince Harry’s] head is floating.”

The accolade was announced on Prince Harry’s 37th birthday on September 15 with Jose Andres, a friend of the couple who also runs the charity World Central Kitchin, writing a gushing tribute to the Sussexes.

He wrote: “Springing into action is not the easy choice for a young duke and duchess who have been blessed through birth and talent, and burned by fame.

“It would be much safer to enjoy their good fortune and stay silent, they run towards the struggle.”

For their third wedding anniversary in May, the Sussexes revealed they would build a disaster relief centre in India to help battle COVID-19 and help the country with Mr Andres.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Meghan Markle’s Father Says She Is ‘Cheating’ Her Children by Not Returning to U.K.

Published

on

Thomas Markle says Meghan Markle’s children “are being deprived of seeing all their grandparents” in a new attack on his daughter.

He used an interview with Australian TV to say Meghan and Prince Harry should return to Britain to “fulfil their obligation.”

 

 

 

Markle Sr has not met Archie and Lilibet Mountbatten-Windsor despite repeated requests in media interviews.

Thomas Markle says Meghan Markle’s children “are being deprived of seeing all their grandparents” in a new attack on his daughter.

 

 

 

He used an interview with Australian TV to say Meghan and Prince Harry should return to Britain to “fulfil their obligation.”

Markle Sr has not met Archie and Lilibet Mountbatten-Windsor despite repeated requests in media interviews.

 

 

 

He also accused Harry of failing to support Meghan when she was experiencing suicidal thoughts in the aftermath of negative media stories about her in January 2019.

The duchess told Oprah she asked to go to a mental hospital but was told by a senior official that it would make the institution look bad.

“By not taking them back, they’re cheating their children”

Thomas Markle says he would like to see Harry and Meghan “make up with the Queen” and return to the United Kingdom. pic.twitter.com/wNuCJmsimT

— Sunrise (@sunriseon7) September 14, 2021
Prince Harry said he did not go to his family, saying: “I guess I was ashamed of admitting it to them.”

Markle Sr told Sunrise: “I think Harry was a total failure as a husband, because if a wife or child of mine came to me and said I have a psychological problem and was thinking about suicide I would get them directly to a doctor.

“I wouldn’t have to go and check with someone first.”

Meghan’s relationship with her father was at the center of a high profile U.K. lawsuit against the Mail on Sunday, which Meghan won earlier this year.

Their relationship disintegrated after Markle Sr was caught staging pictures with the paparazzi in the days leading up to her royal wedding at Windsor Castle, in May 2018.

He gave interviews at the time to TMZ and also needed hospital treatment for heart attacks.

That August, Meghan sent him a letter begging him to stop speaking about her to the media and in early 2019 he passed it to the Mail on Sunday following attacks on him from five anonymous friends in People.

Markle Sr said he sent her flowers for her 40th birthday but received no response but he did rule out using lawyers to try to get access to Meghan’s children.

He told Sunrise: “I’ve had offers from several lawyers—pro-bono—because we do have the right to sue to see our grandchildren.

Continue Reading

Adevert




Copyright © 2021 World Celeb Zone. All rights reserved.

%d bloggers like this: